January 2022 Issue
Congratulations to Dr. Haran Karmaker
Congratulations to Dr. Haran Karmaker for being awarded the 2021 IEEE Power Engineering Society Charles Proteus Steinmetz Gold Medal "For leadership in and contributions to the development of standards for electrical machines". Haran was chair and vice chair of both the Peterborough IEEE Section and the PEO Peterborough Chapter during the 1980s and early 1990s before leaving GE for Westinghouse at Round Rock, Texas.
A video from the awards ceremony can be found here.
Congratulations to Dr. Hilmi Turanli
Congratulations to Dr. Hilmi Turanli for receiving the 2021 Honorary Life Membership to Engineer Geoscience Manitoba (EGM) for his contributions to the association, IEEE, and other groups over the past 35+ years. Hilmi has served many positions in IEEE Winnipeg and IEEE Canada as described in the article published on page 26 of https://www.enggeomb.ca/pdf/Keystone/21Winter.pdf.
IEEE Member Benefit for January 2022
Workspace Solutions by IWG:
Through IWG’s unique proposition, IEEE members worldwide can receive a 10% discount within the first 12 month of a new contract on selected workspace solutions. Access a wide variety of offices, meeting rooms, and services tailored to your unique needs. Find professional virtual office support or choose to work in a more collaborative setting with their coworking spaces.
Articles and Resources
IEEE educational activities continue to offer online instruction and IEEE's pre-university educational resources may be of assistance to families of students whose classroom activities have been disrupted. Home-schooling parents and students can explore the IEEE TryEngineering database to learn about a wide variety of concepts.
Understanding that technology and history are not mutually exclusive subjects, IEEE REACH provides history teachers and remote learners with free educational resources that situate science, technology, and engineering in their social and humanistic contexts.
Scholarships, Awards, and Prizes
Scholarship/Grant/Prize offered by IEEE Canadian Foundation
(Submissions due March 15, 2022)
- IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarships,
- R. Findlay Scholarship,
- Power Quality Scholarship,
- Special Grants,
- Women in Engineering Prize,
- VT Travel Grant,
- Alden Scholarship,
- Gargantini-Strybosch Scholarship,
- Cercone Scholarship (now biennial, plan ahead for submission April, 2022).
Information and online submission forms are available here in English and in French:
IEEE Canadian Foundation
Volunteer OpportunitiesOpportunities for volunteer engagement are available, or if an individual wishes to contribute in other areas, please reach out.
- Web Master(s)
- Section Liaison representatives for Vancouver and Windsor Sections
Summary of IEEE Canadian Foundation Grants Awarded in 2021IEEE Canadian Foundation had another good year for philanthropic activities in 2021 in spite of the challenging COVID-19 circumstances.
- In 2021, IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarships valued at
$5,000 each, totaling $15,000, were awarded to:
- Nate Berzolla, University of Saskatchewan, nominated by Robert Johanson
- Rafid Dewan, Carleton University, nominated by Winnie Ye
- Michal Ridner, University of Ottawa, nominated by Sawsan Abdul-Majid
- McNaughton Learning Resource Centre Grants with a total
- Lakehead University – upgrade
- Dalhousie University – upgrade
- University of Manitoba – upgrade
- University of Saskatchewan – upgrade
- IEEE Canadian Foundation Special Grants with a total
In 2021, IEEE Canadian Foundation provided a one-time Special Grant in support of:
- University of Alberta Autonomous Robotic Vehicle Project
- UBC Orbit Satellite Design Team
- Calgary - NEO Highschool VEX Robotics Organization
- University of Waterloo - Midnight Sun Solar Race Car Team
- IEEE SIGHT Montreal - Portable Diabetic Retinopathy Monitoring System
- Calgary – Alberta Tech Alliance Association to help provide technology training to Alberta girls
- University of British Columbia Agrobot – to develop technology and attend AgGrowBot competition
- University of British Columbia AgroPonics – to build an autonomous hydroponics system
- University of Victoria Rocketry – to develop rocketry for retrieval of rocket hardware and flight data
- Endowed Awards totaling $19,150
- Anuj Mathur of Carleton University awarded Dr. Raymond D. Findlay Scholarship valued at $1,000
- Bo Chen, University of British Columbia and Yazan Otoum, University of Ottawa VT Travel Grant each valued at up to $1,200
- Various IEEE Canada Region and Section Awards valued at $15,750
- In 2021, IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarships valued at $5,000 each, totaling $15,000, were awarded to:
COVID-19: The IEEE Canadian Foundation remains committed to supporting our programs, donors and grantees. Thank you for your ongoing support during these unusual and challenging times.
IEEE Canadian Foundation is a registered charity in Canada and a public foundation. All Canadian individual donors receive CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) approved tax receipts. The IEEE Canadian Foundation remains committed to supporting our programs, donors and grantees. Thank you for your ongoing support during these unusual and challenging times. Please visit ICF Facebook page
IEEE Canada Technology Leadership Webinar Series - XII
IEEE Canada is hosting a webinar series on Technology Leadership.
We are inviting professional associations, learned societies, think
tanks, governmental agencies, and other institutions to participate
and contribute speakers. This webinar series is a platform bringing
our thought leaders from different stakeholders, from all walks of
life to present their views and advocate their positions on science,
technology, society, and future economy. It will be open and free
to the general public.
- Topic: How can metal optics enable CMOS scalability within System in a Package?
- Guest speaker: Dr. Amr S. Helmy
- Organization: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto
- Date: February 22, 2022
- Time: 03:00 pm - 04:00 pm (EDT)
- Venue: WebEx
- Information and Registration: https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/298800