September 2021 Issue
2022 Technical Field Award Recipients for IEEE Region 7Congratulations to the following individuals for winning 2022 Technical Field Awards (TFA) for IEEE Region 7.
- M. Tamer Özsu: IEEE Innovation in Societal Infrastructure Award
- Paresh C. Sen: IEEE Richard Harold Kaufmann Award
IEEE Member Benefit for September 2021
GoogleApps@IEEE is available to members at no additional cost. For more information, please visit this link. Users will have access to:
- A unique IEEE email address (e.g., John.A.Doe@ieee.org).
- Mail forwarding or email inbox (Gmail).
- 30 gigabytes of shared storage (Gmail and Google Drive).
- 99.9 percent up time guaranteed by Google.
- Advertisement-free Gmail.
- Storage of files in the cloud and access via Google Drive.
- Use Google Hangouts for messaging, voice and video calls.
In 2020 IEEE welcomed software company Wolfram Research to the discount portfolio. Wolfram offers an integrated suite of technologies for multidomain modeling, simulation, and computation across all areas of technical computing—neural networks, machine learning, image processing, data science, and more. IEEE members worldwide qualify for a 20% discount on Mathematica, System Modeler, and Wolfram|One. For more information please visit IEEE Member Discounts.
IEEE Member Group Insurance Update
Life Insurance - Members in Canada (except Quebec) have access to the member group Life
Insurance portfolio, Group Disability Income policy, Accidental Death
and Dismemberment policy, and Travel Insurance. The life and health plans
are available through Mercer (Canada) Limited. As well, the IEEE
Professional Liability Insurance Plan is available through Marsh Canada
View all product details, terms and conditions.
Auto insurance - IEEE also works with The Personal to offer members throughout Canada access to buying group auto insurance and/or home insurance. Although auto insurance discounts can vary by Province, the member rates are substantially reduced. Members may also take advantage of The Personal’s various risk management discounts, such as Ajusto for safe driving or water leak prevention tools in the home. For more information, go to IEEE Memer Discount page and The Personal link.
Members may contact these vendors with questions about their offerings, as indicated on their individual program landing pages. Please send your general Member Discount questions to email@example.com. Lynn Koblin is the IEEE Senior Manager for Member Group Insurance and Alliance Programs and Staff Secretary to the MBPAC.
Articles and Resources
IEEE educational activities continue to offer online instruction and IEEE's pre-university educational resources may be of assistance to families of students whose classroom activities have been disrupted. Home-schooling parents and students can explore the IEEE TryEngineering database to learn about a wide variety of concepts.
- The no-contact temperature screening systems can be off as much as four degrees, according to IEEE Senior Member Erik Beall. Continue Reading.
David Collins, an IEEE Life member and a former employee at NASA's JPL has thought about new ideas for building ventilation systems and is interested in sharing them. According to Collins, the proposed new family of room and building ventilation controllers has the potential to reduce energy consumption and associated financial and environmental costs. Please visit his article for more details.
Disclaimer - The ideas and designs presented by IEEE members do not represent the IEEE, nor are they endorsed by the IEEE. Any implementation in any form is done at the reader's own risk. IEEE will not be liable for any damages resulting from any actions taken by the reader to act upon the ideas presented, including implementation, testing, promotion, sale, or any other action by the reader. IEEE does not take any responsibility or accept any liability for the accuracy, safety or completeness of the design.
Scholarships and Prizes
IEEE Canadian Foundation Grants
- IEEE McNaughton Learning Resource Centre Grants
- Eligibility: Canadian IEEE Student Branches.
- Purpose: To enhance the learning experiences of IEEE student members at Canadian Universities and Colleges, as well as encouraging IEEE membership and activities, and interaction between the IEEE Student Branch and the local IEEE Section.
- Deadline: November 15, 2021
- Link: http://www.ieeecanadianfoundation.org/EN/cen_grnt.php
- IEEE Canadian Foundation Special Grants
- Eligibility: An IEEE Student Branch, an IEEE Section, an IEEE Canada Committee, a non-IEEE entity such as a high school, or in rare cases an individual, all in Canada.
- Purpose: To partially fund one-time new and innovative projects that advance IEEE's core purpose to foster technological innovation and excellence to benefit humanity.
- Deadlines: November 15, 2021.
- Link: http://www.ieeecanadianfoundation.org/EN/sp_grnts.php
- IEEE Canada Vehicular Technologies Travel Grants
Two travel grants each year, each one not to exceed $1,200.
- Eligibility: IEEE Student Members in good standing in a Canadian University or College (at a college, undergraduate or graduate level).
- Purpose: To support IEEE student members to attend and present a paper at a Vehicular Technologies Conference or other IEEE Conference related to Vehicular Technologies.
- Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Link: http://www.ieeecanadianfoundation.org/EN/vt_award.php