August 2021 Issue
Call for Nominations: 2021 IEEE Canada Achievement and Service Awards
The campaign for nominations for the major IEEE Canada awards is now open. There are both Achievement and Service Awards. These very prestigious awards recognize the top echelon of engineers in Canada. The full description of each of the 11 awards can be found on the IEEE Canada web site at Awards | IEEE Canada, with the full list of member awards at IEEE Canada Major Awards for Members | IEEE Canada. From that site you can select an award, and click through to the site for nominating your candidate by clicking Nominate a Member.
The deadline for submissions, including information from the nominator and endorsers, is November 30, 2021. Please use the site to nominate a deserving candidate.
If you have any questions regarding these awards or regarding the nomination process, please contact IEEE Canada: email@example.com
Call for Nominations: 2021 Engineering Institute of Canada Awards
The 2022 Awards Nomination campaign is now in full swing. We urge you to consider nominating colleagues you believe are worthy of being inducted as 2022 EIC Fellow or of receiving one of EIC’s prestigious 2022 senior medals. Please also feel free to distribute/ forward the attached Call to your colleagues/members.
The deadline for 2022 award nominations is end of day/midnight on 15 November 2021. Nominations are to be sent to attention Guy Gosselin at firstname.lastname@example.org (please send documents in WORD format, or unlocked pdf, to facilitate the assembly of committee packages). Please do not forward CVs of nominees. Visit this page (https://eic-ici.ca/honours_awards/nomination/) to review the rules and to download the nomination form.
Call for Nominations: 2021 MGA Individual Awards Program
You can help recognize the efforts of outstanding volunteers by nominating individuals for one of the prestigious IEEE Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) Awards Program.
Each award has a unique mission and criteria and offers the opportunity to honor distinguished colleagues, inspiring teachers, and corporate leaders.
If you know someone who has made substantial regional IEEE volunteer contributions through innovative projects, exemplary leadership, service, or by fulfilling the goals as related to transnational activities, consider nominating them for one of the following awards:
- MGA Larry K. Wilson Transnational Award
- IEEE MGA Diversity & Inclusion Award - *New Award*
- MGA Innovation Award
- MGA Leadership Award
- MGA Achievement Award
- MGA Young Professionals Achievement Award
Please visit the MGA Award nomination process to review the nominator guidelines and eligibility requirements. MGA awards are peer-recognized awards; therefore, self-nomination is not permitted.
The deadline for nominations (completed nomination form and two letters of endorsement) is 15 October 2021.
- MGA Larry K. Wilson Transnational Award
Congratulate 2022 IEEE Technical Field Award and 2022 Herz Award Receipients on the New Kudoboard
We are pleased to announce the 2022 IEEE Technical Field Awards and 2021 IEEE Eric Herz Outstanding Staff Member Award recipients at:
https://corporate-awards.ieee.org/recipients/current-recipients/#technical-field-awards. Please feel free to publicize the recipients and post your own notes of congratulations on the new Kudoboard on the Awards website by clicking this link here.
IEEE IAS Award Winners
Congratulations to the following IEEE Industrial Applications Society (IAS) award winners:
- Distinguished Service: Adam Skorek
- Outstanding Achievement: Prasad Enheti
- Mentor/Educator Award: Sri Niwas Singh
- Andrew W. Smith Outstanding Young Member Achievement Award: Zheyu Zhang
- Outstanding Young Member Service Award: Muhammad Hamza Ihtisham
- Gerald Kliman Award: Robert Guenther
- Seethatpahaty Award: Satish Chaparala
Basis for judging: Exceptional administrative, managerial and leadership achievement; proposal and/or implementation of innovative new Society programs; dedication to the growth and advancement of the Society and/or its geographic and technical entities. Self nomination is not permitted for this award.
Regional Technology Network Badges available on IEEE Collabratec
Meet and connect with people in your Region - and earn a badge!
The Technology Network Badge Series is now available. Learn more here.
Get to know others in your network by following the simple badge journey and earn the badge for your region.
Log into IEEE Collabratec and earn your badge today!
Links to Regional Technology Network Communities:
- Africa: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/56/Africa-Technology-Network/activities
- Asia/Pacific: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/51/Asia-Pacific-Technology-Network/activities
- Europe: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/57/Europe-Technology-Network/activities
- Middle East: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/62/Middle-East-Technology-Network/activities
- Latin America: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/61/Latin-America-Technology-Network/activities
- North America: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/58/North-America-Technology-Network/activities
Articles and Resources
IEEE educational activities continue to offer online instruction and IEEE's pre-university educational resources may be of assistance to families of students whose classroom activities have been disrupted. Home-schooling parents and students can explore the IEEE TryEngineering database to learn about a wide variety of concepts.
The no-contact temperature screening systems can be off as much as four degrees, according to IEEE Senior Member Erik Beall. Continue Reading.
Scholarships and Prizes
IEEE Canadian Foundation Grants
- IEEE McNaughton Learning Resource Centre Grants
- Eligibility: Canadian IEEE Student Branches.
- Purpose: To enhance the learning experiences of IEEE student members at Canadian Universities and Colleges, as well as encouraging IEEE membership and activities, and interaction between the IEEE Student Branch and the local IEEE Section.
- Deadline: November 15, 2021
- Link: http://www.ieeecanadianfoundation.org/EN/cen_grnt.php
- IEEE Canadian Foundation Special Grants
- Eligibility: An IEEE Student Branch, an IEEE Section, an IEEE Canada Committee, a non-IEEE entity such as a high school, or in rare cases an individual, all in Canada.
- Purpose: To partially fund one-time new and innovative projects that advance IEEE's core purpose to foster technological innovation and excellence to benefit humanity.
- Deadlines: November 15, 2021.
- Link: http://www.ieeecanadianfoundation.org/EN/sp_grnts.php
- IEEE Canada Vehicular Technologies Travel Grants
Two travel grants each year, each one not to exceed $1,200.
- Eligibility: IEEE Student Members in good standing in a Canadian University or College (at a college, undergraduate or graduate level).
- Purpose: To support IEEE student members to attend and present a paper at a Vehicular Technologies Conference or other IEEE Conference related to Vehicular Technologies.
- Deadline: November 15, 2021.
- Link: http://www.ieeecanadianfoundation.org/EN/vt_award.php
IEEE Canadian Foundation
Scholarships, Grants, AwardsAll programs continue to operate normally, supporting students and others within IEEE Canada.
- IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarships - $5,000 each
- Nate Berzolla, University of Saskatchewan, nominated by Robert Johanson
- Rafid Dewan, Carleton University, nominated by Winnie Ye
- Michal Ridner, University of Ottawa, nominated by Sawsan Abdul-Majid
- IEEE Canadian Foundation Raymond D. Findlay Scholarship - $1,000
- Anuj Mathur, Carleton University, nominated by Winnie Ye
- Special Grants
- University of Alberta Autonomous Robotic Vehicle Project - $1,250
- UBC Orbit Satellite Design Team - $1,000
- IEEE Canada Major Awards
- 2021 endowed awards
- IEEE Canadian Foundation Scholarships - $5,000 each
Volunteer OpportunitiesOpportunities for volunteer engagement are available, or if an individual wishes to contribute in other areas, please reach out.
- Web Master(s)
- Section Liaison representatives for Vancouver and Windsor Sections
COVID-19: The IEEE Canadian Foundation remains committed to supporting our programs, donors and grantees. Thank you for your ongoing support during these unusual and challenging times.
IEEE Canadian Foundation is a registered charity in Canada and a public foundation. All Canadian individual donors receive CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) approved tax receipts. The IEEE Canadian Foundation remains committed to supporting our programs, donors and grantees. Thank you for your ongoing support during these unusual and challenging times. Please visit ICF Facebook page
Call for papers: 2021 5G World Forum
The 2021 IEEE 4th 5G World Forum (5GWF’21) seeks contributions on how to nurture and cultivate future network technologies and applications beyond 5G, and how they can benefit society. This will be a virtual event similar to 5GWF’20, but we are also planning an in-person event in Montreal, Canada (around October 13, 2021) that will be an official part of 5GWF’21. Physical attendance is not expected or required for authors and presenters.
IEEE Members in the News
IEEE Member's Michael S. Obrecht Siborg Systems wins Plant Engineering’s Product of the Year 2020 Award
Olntario, Wateroo based Siborg Systems Inc won Plant Engineering’s Product of the Year 2020 Award with their LCR-Reader-MPA All-in-One Multimeter. This unique device is a continuation of the previous development of tweezer-meters started in early 2000s that resulted in Smart Tweezers LCR-meter, the first LCR-meter for Surface Mount Technology. The main feature of a tweezer-meter is a combination of LCR-meter, tweezers and display. It automatically detects the type of measured component and quickly provides measurement result. It saves money in the lab when any work is done using SMDs that often do not have any markings.
LCR-Reader-MPA delivers record high 0.1% basic accuracy for LCR/ESR measurements with up to 100 kHz test frequency, along with unrivaled variety of additional functions. In contrast to other tweezer-meters, LCR-Reader-MPA provides Diode/LED test, AC/DC Voltage/Current measurements, Oscilloscope, Frequency meter, Signal Generator and more. Optional Bluetooth communication module is available as well, connecting the device to a computer. NIST traceable calibration certificate is included.
Please click here for more information.